Thursday, December 4, 2008

Nov 19- Emotions

This move has been a literal roller coaster for me. There have been the ups of excitement as we’ve traveled to new and exciting places. Today we went to Cambridge, for instance. The thrill of standing in front of buildings that are older than our entire country never ceases to get me going. I live for the adventure and history here. It is amazing. Just when I think I’m becoming desensitized to the moss-covered, 900 year old beauty of the abbeys here…something like King’s College Church at Cambridge University catches me and takes my breath away. I sit in awe of all of the wonders that surround me at every turn. I feel abundantly blessed to get to spend so much time here and take it all in. There are not many Americans that get this unique gift and pleasure.

Then, the very next moment I’m seized with the stress of trying to figure out how to pay for our housing. We have the money, but converting it from dollars to pounds in large quantities has been a struggle. First, we had the wrong kind of ATM card. We had to call our bank and have them send the right kind. Then, I’ve struggled to pull the amount of money out of the ATM that we’ll need for our down payment. Our bank has said that it can be done (and luckily, it finally did happen today) but actually making it happen has been a stress. And, tomorrow, I’ll go and change the cash into a cashier’s check for Friday’s meeting with the estate agent. And, all the while we’re trying to figure out how to pay for the housing, we’re praying that the housing office on base doesn’t kick us out or force us into base housing. Now that I’ve written this stressful event on paper, it doesn’t appear so stressful. It seems kind of silly. But, for the last couple of weeks, this is the thing that has weighed most heavily on my mind. Having the money in hand now has helped me to feel so much better. Now I’m just praying that I don’t somehow misplace it between now and Friday.

And, later in the same day I’ll suddenly feel elation again…that we’re about to be settled, that the weather is sunny, that I’m finally adjusted to the new time zone, that I’m making so many friends at church (I’ve never been in a more welcoming ward…seriously…these people are amazing) and in our neighborhood (we know several families in our new neighborhood in Mildenhall already…just ran into them accidentally), that Christmas is just around the corner, and that we’re here together as a family. I’ll feel the abundance of blessings wrap around me like a blanket.

But, wouldn’t you know that not 30 minutes later I’m feeling cramped in my tiny Temporary Living Facility room with my son going bonkers because there’s nothing to do but terrorize the cat and eat. (Yes, Weslee eats out of boredom sometimes. He roams around the hotel room saying “cereal….cereal….juice….cereal…bite…please”. We’re all feeling cabin crazy! I think there isn’t a single one of us that can’t wait for more room to move and run around in. The cat, especially, has taken to being CRAZY hyper in the middle of the night. I can’t wait to get that cat to a place where she can explore the outdoors again.

And then, night comes. It gets quiet. Kevin and I talk and read scriptures and pray. And, in the still I count my blessings once again. I get excited for the next day and the adventures ahead. I lay my head on my pillow, excited to wake and experience life again. I just hope that when it’s all said and done in a few more days, that life will mellow and I’ll feel like I’m a little more balanced and less of a crazy person.

No comments: