Friday, April 4, 2008

Cooking up some fun!








Yeah, so this is what happens when mom finds something cute at Target...we come home and play (Weslee with whatever it is that I bought...here a chef's hat and apron) and mom with her camera. I will say that this was probably Weslee's favorite photo shoot ever.

OK...for those of you who don't know enough about my "studio" shoots and my current house, here is the 411. Yes, these were taken in my sickeningly skinny living room where the only good source of natural light comes in. Yes, I had to smash myself against the couch to get far enough away to even snap pictures without Wes touching the lense (or wanting to). Yes, that is real flour...and it is now all over the carpet, the couches, the wall, the backdrop, and pretty much every toy he now owns. And, lastly, yes! It was worth the mess.
Something you should know is that Weslee loves to "cook" with me already. If he isn't right in the thick of things when I pull out a pan or a bowl, he howls in protest until I either get on his level and let him see me stir things up, or pick him up where he can see the water boil and watch me stir the pots. I'm a little worried that he's so fascinated with the flames on the stove...but luckily, he can't reach them (yet) unless I'm there with him. I've tried giving him his own bowl and spoon to play with while I cook...but he's a smart kid and knows that it's not where the action is. In some ways, I'm tempted sometimes to be frustrated because it is hard to enjoy cooking with a child strapped to your leg howling. But, on the other hand, I know that in the future, if I nourish this desire in him now, we'll have lots of fun moments cooking and learning together in the kitchen...and lots of memories to share too.

1 comment:

Tera said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE PHOTOS!!! I have to admit that these are those last forever, kind of moments. Sometimes it is just a lot of work to let kids help, but you will definitely be grateful you did. He looks so happy and doesn't mind at all that mom once again has pulled out her camera. Great finds. I love them. The flour all over is a nice touch!