Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Please read the instruction manual before using this appliance!

So, after writing my last post, we happily went to the "baby commissary" as it's called here...mainly because it has a small supply of a whole lot of random things that really make no sense at all and it is, well, really small. We have "shoppettes" or "convenience stores" that are larger than this commissary. But, I am happy that there is some place to purchase food just a few footsteps from my hotel room. It makes it very nice and very convenient.

After purchasing a bunch of random edibles, we headed to the hotel room, where I would cook our finds into a lovely meal...complete with fruits and veggies...things I've missed over the past couple of days. After all, we have an oven right in our hotel room...pots and pans...everything I need...RIGHT?

Well, I guess that thinking was a bit naive considering that I AM in a foreign country, even though it doesn't really feel like it. One look at the oven, and I knew I was in trouble. I couldn't even figure out how to turn the darn thing on! The appliance has a note boldly written across it saying "Please read the instruction book before using this appliance". That should have been a dead give-away. But, honestly, I didn't even see the warning until after I had pushed all of the buttons and made a royal mess of things. Kevin handed me the instruction manual and I began some serious reading. After figuring out which cycle was the "normal" baking cycle (just curious...can any of you tell which one it is by the picture???) I realized I had even greater problems. The temperature is in centigrade. I suddenly wished that I had paid more attention to that portion of math class. We tried our best to figure out how to get the oven to 400 degrees. I'm still not sure I even got close.

But, to my credit, the oven eventually got hot. The chicken eventually cooked. And we, eventually ate. I guess that's all that matters immediately. But, I'm going to have to get this centigrade thing down if I want to attempt any real baking in the future.

5 comments:

Alissa said...

230 C = 446 F

if you ever need to do a conversion just type into google "230 c to f" or vice versa "400 f to c"

Tera said...

1.8(C`)+32=F. Shaun wanted me to pass this along in case you needed the formula for any other cooking adventures. He also wanted me to pass one more note, speed limits are in kilometers not miles per hour, save yourself a speeding ticket and go slower! Good luck. Missing you guys already! Thanks for the laugh. I felt like I was there!

Shay Brackney said...

Really, really chuckling...mainly b/c its not me...! :) Off to adventures already I see! Can't wait to see your own little space and place....

Shay

teri hales said...

Thanks, all...
I had an easier time cooking dinner tonight because of the tips and tricks you gave me. And, luckily, the Brittish are backwards...but not completely. They use liters and centigrade, but still measure distance and speed in miles. That at least is a little nicer!

Micaela said...

lol. I can totally see myself doing this! Good to know that appliances on bases out of the US are not necessarily going to be what I'm used to! Oh, and where are all the words like bake, timer, broil? I would be so lost. :)